Monday, August 20, 2007

Trading with the Trend is More Profitable Than Picking Tops and Bottoms

It was another unbearably volatile week for the markets last week. The TSX in Toronto was down almost 600 points intra-day on Thursday, and the Venture Exchange in Vancouver is down about 25% from recent highs. This volatility has obliterated most of my stock selections, but I will continue to monitor this strategy for at least a year before I draw any conclusions.

Here is an update on the positions:



Not surprisingly, the only positions that are still alive are the short positions. Even my favourite position, POT.to, which had held up amazingly well for so long, has finally thrown in the towel. The loss that I had to take on POT.to was quite small at least, since this strategy has very strict risk management rules. (Dumping stocks when the 50 day moving is broken.)

Here is this week's stock pick:

No comments: